Saturday, October 5, 2013

What's that buzzing?

 
 
It's that time of year when trimming of branches and yard clean up needs to be done. Our community has branch pick up in the fall, so it is a good idea to take advantage of that service.  I grabbed the cutters and away I went on our tree line. I really do not enjoy yard work at all.
 
Here Jordan and Christal loaded up branches and took them to the front yard and piled them up.
 
 
 
Later in the day I was driving the tractor and stopped under our front tree to clip a branch.  As I got off the tractor I heard a lot of buzzing.   I looked up and this is what I found!
 
If you look real close you can see bees at the bottom of the nest.  These are bald-faced hornets. They are black and white and apparently sting repeatedly.  I did not get stung I moved pretty quick out of the area.
 

My kind neighbor came over at dusk to help us get rid of the nest.  I laid a piece of plastic on the ground under it.  Steve sprayed directly into the opening with a bee killer.  The next morning there were several dead bees on the ground. (that's when I saw what they looked like).  We then clipped the branch and tossed it out.  It was very large and the detail on the outside is very intricate.




 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment